At the beginning of the month of October Sitges transforms the city streets, the avenues…and the locals.
When the banderoles and posters in the promenade are filled with King Kong’s silhouettes, you know that the Sitges International Film Festival has just arrived! It is definitely one of the main attractions of the autumn season, and it takes place between the 4 and 14 October. Just so you know, this is one of the most valued cinema festivals in Europe.
This year, the Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya (its official name) celebrates its 51st edition and it is dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the premiere of "2001: A Space Odyssey", by Stanley Kubrick.
At UMA, we recommend you to enjoy these ten days of fantastic cinema with 10 tips, hints or just interesting information that will help you make the most of it:
1. Don't think that simply because you are in a fantastic film festival you'll only going to see this genre. Movie lovers in general can also enjoy premiere films and films from other genres. The event has different sections that include animated films, horror films, documentaries and even series.
2. The International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia was born at the end of the sixties and many stars have participated in it: Anthony Hopkins, Mira Sorvino, Wim Wenders, Tony Curtis or Quentin Tarantino...
3. If you want to attend the event, we recommend you to buy the tickets for the Sitges International Film Festival in advance, as they are easily sold out. But don't worry too much either, there are more than twelve types of tickets and packs and some are only € 9.
4. They have a section for short films, so if you if you love this format Sitges won't disappoint you.
5. Each year a zombie walk is organized on the promenade. Yes, you can see your dream of becoming a zombie creature fulfilled.
6. More than 20 awards are given in total, which are part of different sections. If you want, you can be part of the Grand Audience Award, for which votes of the audience members are collected after each movie session.
7. Last year, more than 200,000 visitors attended the festival, and it included 170 films and 35 short films.
8. Many parallel activities are organized: master classes, lectures, colloquiums, exhibitions...
9. This festival has always supported the latest technologies, so among its sections we find the "Stalix Sitges Cocoon", which includes pieces produced and displayed in Virtual Reality format - 360º Cinema.
10. If you are a fan of a character, saga or series you can buy what you want at the market that is mounted every year on the promenade. T-shirts, posters, phone cases, masks...
But the best of this Festival are not this ten tips, nor the prizes. It's being in the film screenings with the actors, journalists, film directors, fans, enjoying the movie all at once and then sharing a vermouth in El Cable (1 Barcelona Street), the village’s more crowded bar where you can enjoy fried squid and spicy fried potatoes.
And if you are one of those who don't want to miss anything of the Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya but you're not lucky enough to have a residence in the beautiful coastal town, don't worry. You can stay in one of our apartments in Sitges and make the most of the event.